Last night, my husband and I worked a little bit in the kitchen, creating a delicious dinner!
I was after something hearty, and I didn’t want to bake pizza again, so as we did on Friday.
So I had the idea to make spelled wholemeal boats. This one you can find them on medieval markets here in Germany. My version is just a little bit calorie-friendly.
The result is delicious and simple spelled wholemeal flatbread with cream cheese, ham and red onions, which we definitely include in our repertoire now!
If you ever feel like finger food, and you do not want to reach for the finished products, then I recommend from heart of this simple and delicious recipe!
Here I have the recipe for you for spelled wholemeal flatbreads with cream cheese, onions and ham cubes.
We also had some with leaf spinach, garlic and feta!
Spelled wholemeal flatbread with cream cheese, ham and red onions
Nutritional information per piece:
305 kcal, 4 g fat, 50 g carbohydrates, 15 g protein
Ingredients for 6 pieces:
For the dough:
- 300 g spelled wholemeal flour
- 150 g spelled flour, type 630
- 3.5 g dry baking yeast (½ packet)
- 300 ml of lukewarm water
- 1 tbsp olive oil (10 ml)
- 1 tsp salt
For the topping:
- 100 g red onions, in thin slices
- 100 g creamy cream cheese, fat reduced
- 50 g of lean reduced-fat ham cubes
- For the dough, weigh the wholemeal spelled flour and the spelled flour type 630 and stir well in a bowl with a fork until airy.
- Now add the dried baking yeast and mix in.
- Add the lukewarm water and mix well, only now add the salt and the olive oil.
- Now knead with your hands for about 5 – 10 minutes.
- Return to the bowl and let rest for 30 minutes.
- During this time you can cut the onions into rings and prepare the baking trays.
- Preheat the oven to 220 ° C.
- These 6 pancakes fit on 2 baking trays, so they have enough space between them.
- Take the dough out of the bowl and put it in an oblong roll. Then divide it into about 6 equal pieces.
- Then bring them into the flat form.
- Lay them on the baking trays and then spread with cream cheese, the diced ham and the onions.
- Now bake for about 20 minutes in the preheated oven.
- The cooking time may vary depending on the type of oven.
You can also use leaf spinach, garlic and feta as a topping, just as we did! Both variations are delicious and scream for repetition!
Let your imagination run wild!